Sunday, May 07, 2006

Tribute to my first love

I ran out of blogs to read during one of my revision breaks...so I went on this website my sister told me about ages ago...www.baidu.com......it's where my culture-starved self gets my monthly fix of the latest in Taiwanese pop..in all fairness, some of these songs might actually get the Simon Cowell stamp of approval...there's an american jazz instrumental version of Jay Chou's "Dong Feng Puo"...it's called East Wind Breaks...how original:P
* to the chinese-illiterate, it's a literal translation of the original Mandarin title

So there's this part of the site that lists the top 500 golden hits......80% of the songs listed were songs from my childhood......isn't "golden" supposed to mean songs circa oh I don't know.. George Washington's cherry tree? if the songs from my childhood are now considered "golden"..does that then make me a golden girl? I want to be Blanche...or however it is you spell her name.....and I have officially hit rock-bottom with my mid/quarter(?) life crisis...gah...If I'm old then my mum is a century egg..wahaha..wonder what they call the songs from her childhood :P

But I digress...while skimming through the list I came across this name..Jimmy Lim Zhi Ying.....my first crush.......I had every single one of his cassettes...[cassettes??!fuck, I really am old...], I knew the lyrics to every song, his songs were the only thing I would sing at family karaoke thingies, I videotaped his concerts religiously....I knew every damn game show he'd ever been on...heck I had T-shirts with his face printed on the front...and my really cool older cousins from abroad used to ply me with bookmarks, stickers, notebooks..and my ultimate favourite--a baby booklet of Jimmy Lim photos..all of which I painstakingly arranged in a pretty box with perfumed paper stars....I wanted to marry the guy...I was also 7 and probably dropped on my head earlier in the year..

Fast forward to 2006, 2 days before my locomotor assessment....I saw the song title...and clicked on it just for fun...and there it was..the familiar melody from my past..as I was giggling away at the cheesy lyrics I realized that I was actually singing along...after 12 years, I can still remember every single word.....but what I used to think was THE sexiest voice just sounds ridiculous now....if he can sell albums I also can

But now that I was on a roll, I went ahead, downloaded all his songs...sang and laughed my way through 2 albums :D...I just wish I had my boxed shrine of Jimmy Lim with me, pretty eyes and flippy hair and all.....hehehehehe....I love unexpected trips down memory lane.....and I miss being a kid...even if I did have fucked up taste in music:P

Image hosting by Photobucket

at 5:51 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Cursors